Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding!!

This has become a regular in my rotation of desserts that I serve at church gatherings and family get-togethers. Rather than send people over to the great Paula Deen's version on the Food Network's website, I thought I'd post my slightly modified version here along with the link to the original version for all those inquiries I consistently get when people try this wonderful dessert:

Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding by Paula Deen
(Cynde's slightly modified version)

Ingredients
1 box of Nilla wafers
4-6 bananas, sliced thinly
2 1/2 cups milk
2 3.4 oz boxes instant French vanilla pudding
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 8oz container frozen whipped topping thawed

Directions
Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top. (I sometimes instead layer ingredients in a trifle bowl)

In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and line the edges with additional cookies placed upright and a few in the center for added presentation. I also crumble a few into fine crumbs and sprinkle it over the rest of the casserole. Refrigerate until ready to serve. The colder the better!

My modifications don't alter the taste much...they were made simply because some of the size ingredients she asks for are harder to find around here. I've also made a "Dirt Cake" using the same recipe just replacing the Nilla wafer layer with processed Oreo cookies and the vanilla pudding with chocolate fudge flavored pudding! YUM!

I'll post a picture as soon as I can keep one around long enough to snap a pic!

No comments:

Post a Comment