Monday, August 31, 2009

I found my brookie!

It was the summer of 1996...and my family and I had just ended a lovely stroll in Central Park to visit a place I would never forget. It was called DT - UT...and that is where I met...the brookie. Encased behind the plastic display were treasures untold...pastries, cookies, brownies, rice krispy treats, make-your-own-s'mores...and...the brookie.
After selecting our treats, I ordered my milk...and it's then that I knew this place was special. "Would you like whole, low-fat, or skim?"

*gasp*

I was home.

With goodies and cold milk in hand, we took our place on some worn sunken couches near the front of the store, and dug in. I can't tell you much about the cookies...or whether I got to try a rice-krispie treat or not...but I can tell you...with the brookie, it was love at first bite. Slightly crispy on the top and edges, soft and fudgey in the middle...and delicious throughout!

BROOKIE: part cookie, part brownie - that was the explanation behind the name...and did it ever live up to that name!

I came home from that trip to NYC determined to find that recipe on the web...but alas, it would take me over TEN YEARS to find something comparable...and here it is:

The website I got the recipe from called it a Blondie...but I call it heaven.:)

WARNING: These blondies are super simple to make and thus are especially dangerous! If you're into gooey, chocolaty, goodness...then be warned. I can't ever wait until they cool completely to dig in...and so I enjoy 'em EXTRA gooey in the beginning. If you are able to ignore the delicious aroma wafting out of your oven...then by all means, wait it out. It is my husband's opinion that they actually improve with time. My husband loves 'em come Day Two...if there's any left. :)

Basic Blondie Recipe (with my "Brookie" add-ins):

Ingredients
6-7 TBS butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder (optional, creates lighter blondie texture)
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I suggest Hershey's Dark)
1/2 cup chopped pecans


Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 pan (or use Baker's Joy or Pam for Baking). In a large microwave safe mixing bowl melt the butter. Allow to cool for 5 mintues. Mix the brown sugar with the melted butter and beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla. Sift together salt, flour and baking powder (if using) and add to butter mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips and pecans. Pour into prepared pan and use a greased spatula to evenly spread mixture in pan and level the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set in the middle.

I am not responsible for your growing waistline should you choose to explore BakingBlonde's Weblog...it's a GREAT source for all things gooey! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great write up, you sure make me want to whip up a batch tonight! So simple and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete